You are conscious of what you put in your bodies but are you equally as concerned with what you put on it? It's important to understand what is in the products you put on your skin.
Skin is our largest organ and it has a high absorption rate. Products that are absorbed through our skin enter our bloodstream and can eventually lead to health problems if you're using toxic ingredients in your skincare. These problems can range from itching and redness to more serious conditions such as cancer and hormone disruption.
Here are six ingredients we suggest avoiding in your skincare and body products.
- Parabens. Parabens are used in skincare as preservatives to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria and mold. The concern with parabens is that studies have found they can disrupt hormones in the body, harming fertility and reproductive organs, and increasing the risk of cancer. They're not only bad for humans, but they have a negative impact on marine life as studies have found they can damage and kill coral.
- Phthalates. A commonly known hormone disruptor, phthalates are most often used in fragrances in skincare products. Phthalates have been linked to fertility issues in both men and women and increased risk of cancer, not to mention neurological and developmental disruptions.
- Aluminum. When you think about aluminum in skincare, you mainly think of antiperspirant. But aluminum can also be found in eye make-up and lipsticks, causing skin irritation. And some studies have shown that high levels of aluminum can lead to Alzheimer's disease. Read more about what we ditch aluminum for natural deodorant here.
- PEGs. PEGs, also known as polyethylene glycols, are used in lotions and creams since they can act as a moisturizing agent. But PEGs are a common known skin irritant and can cause severe hypersensitivity reactions. They are penetration enhances, which means they help ingredients in products be absorbed more easily by your skin. When they are combined with other toxic ingredients, that means all of those contaminants are entering your bloodstream faster.
- Plastic Microbeads. Not only do we not like plastic microbeads for our bodies but they're also terrible for the environment. These are commonly found in body and face scrubs. They can cause scarring and scratches when used on your skin, and they don't degrade or dissolve in water. The microbeads are small enough to pass through filtration systems and end up in lakes, rivers, and oceans.
- Formaldehyde. Yes, you read that right. Formaldehyde can be found in body care products to help preserve them, just as it is used to preserve corpses. This has been linked to a range of health problems from cancer to asthma to neurotoxicity. It's also a common skin irritant.
If you're looking for clean and safe skincare swaps, check out our entire line of products and ask us for suggestions of our other favorite clean beauty and skincare brands!